Maldon Promenade was built in 1895 to allow the town’s community access to land located on the shores of Blackwater estuary, for recreational purposes. Promenading means to ‘walk’, and it became popular in Eighteenth Century France as a means of ’social visibility’ amongst the middle classes. The promenade, in Edwardian Maldon, would have produced a similarly colourful display of women adorning the latest fashions. Today the ramps and paths are still popular for a summer stroll, but there remains a complex set of interactions between passers-by and their self-conscious visibility within this structured, public space.
Abbie Brewster • Jacqualine Ford • Benjimen Green • Ian Kemp • Bettina Reeve • Louise Rummel • Noelani Watson • Kelsey Woor •