ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Newtownards, County Down
Date: March 2006
(Chapter 4 of 15, Running Time: 00:10:11)
Chapter 4 Synopsis:
- Didn't start school until age of six due to Mother's illness.
- Didn't do the 11 Plus - it occurred the year his Mother died.
- Discovered he could draw - hoped it might lead to a career.
- Aged 13-14 starts Engineering course at Newtownards Tech.
- Got an apprenticeship in Short & Harlands - Aged 16-17, began as a machinist then entered technical publications department.
- Very keen on characature - produced drawings of the people around him.
- Very keen cyclist by this stage, used journey to and from work (10 miles) as part of training.
- Aged 18 sets Northern Ireland record for 25 miles (58 minutes).
- Won a time-trial in Dublin, on returning home had his prize confiscated at the border by customs.
- The case was taken up in Parliament (Westminster) and the prize was eventually returned.