ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Newtownards, County Down
Date: March 2006
(Chapter 9 of 15, Running Time: 00:07:30)
Chapter 9 Synopsis:
- Controversial nature of the show typified by image of armed policeman in midst of wedding group.
- Works on various projects for Arts Council.
- Photographs paintings for Mike Catto's book 'Art in Ulster'.
- Awarded Arts Council bursary - but work is hampered by family commitments.
- Travels to Boston to recieve bursary from Irish-American Cultural Institute.
- Continued to question the ethical dimension of documentary photography.
- John Hewitt comments on image of man in waders in the tropical ravene - from 'Images of Belfast' - vivid memory of the excitement of chancing upon this scene.
- Participates in a three man Arts Council show in 1976.