ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Newtownards, County Down
Date: March 2006
(Chapter 10 of 15, Running Time: 00:06:30)
Chapter 10 Synopsis:
- Work featured in an issue of Creative Camera along with Errol Forbes & Peter Neil - in the '80s.
- Produces a series of photographs of a bar on Sandy Row as part of a visual thesis, these images are subsequently published by Blackstaff in 'The Klondyke Bar' booklet.
- 'The Klondyke Bar' is one in a set of three booklets published by Blackstaff, the other two deal with work by Kenneth McNally (UTV stills photographer) and Stanley Matchett.
- Takes job as a medical photographer in the City Hospital for nine months - photographing wounds etc.
- Not particularly happy in new job but needed the money.
- Tough financial period - experiencing problems with housing executive.
- Still taking his own pictures wherever and whenever possible - image of the remains of the demolished wardrobe taken at this time.