ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Newtownards, County Down
Date: March 2006
(Chapter 8 of 15, Running Time: 00:08:11)
Chapter 8 Synopsis:
- Influenced by photographic magazines such as Aperture & Creative Camera.
- Also influnced by books of work by artists such as Henri Cartier Bresson, Paul Strand, Robert Franks, Walker Evans & Lee Friedlander.
- 'Ulster Photographs' exhibition named after Walker Evans' American Photographs.
- Block mounted prints, bevel-edged, 3 feet by 2 feet.
- His and Arthur Watson's choice of images for show were accepted, despite concerns about propaganda.
- At the opening Mercy Hunter greatly affected by image of two women on Sandy Row.
- Despite controversy the show was well recieved.
- Jeremy Paxman came to show and bought an Arthur Watson print.
- Produced a book with Blackstaff - The Klondyke Bar.
- Five of the original images from the show end up on display in Ulster Hospital.