ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Newtownards, County Down
Date: March 2006
(Chapter 15 of 15, Running Time: 00:08:54)
Chapter 15 Synopsis:
- Disappointed other Photoworks North objectives fell by wayside.
- Leaves Tourist Board in September 1995.
- Doesn't experience the excitement of finding images as he once did.
- Thinks a lot about Eggleston and whether everything has an equal right to be represented.
- Most proud of those pictures which didn't exploit people.
- Still gets occassional requests for his work - drinks company wanted to use the cover image from 'Images of Belfast'.
- Conscious that the material he produced in the early days of the troubles was different from the images that were being reproduced in the media - removed from the immediacy of the violence.
- Would like to create a series of surreal images - like the image of woman in the bush on Anne Street.