ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Newtownards, County Down
Date: March 2006
(Chapter 12 of 15, Running Time: 00:09:19)
Chapter 12 Synopsis:
- Joins Tourist Board in September 1978, worked beneath Ian Hill and Robert Blair.
- Tourist Board learn about debacle in previous job so under probation to begin with.
- First project with Tourist Board - 'Pubs of Ulster'.
- Antipathy towards 'prettiness' - strives to inject his own aethetic into the material while still providing what they needed.
- Now working in colour, becomes more technically profficient during this period.
- Tourist Board devoted a lot of time to thinking about how to market the province, objective was to counter the bad publicity of the Troubles.
- Tourist Board based in River House on High Street, later moves to North Street.
- Much of work involves refreshing images of prime tourist attractions and accomodation on an annual basis.