ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Belfast
Date: February 2014
(Chapter 2 of 19, Running Time: 00:11:43)
Chapter 2 Synopsis:
- Earliest memory is of being in a bomb blast.
- Remembers having to look for incendiary devices.
- Contradictory response from Loyalists who would attack bar and help clean it up.
- Went to Catholic grammar school, felt viewed as a second class citizen.
- Stoical attitude in family, and had self-respect.
- Family not overtly political.
- Fear wasn't an option but were wary.
- Father's Uncle had a bar that was burnt out by one of his employees.