ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Belfast
Date: February 2014
(Chapter 11 of 19, Running Time: 00:10:38)
Chapter 11 Synopsis:
- Started taking photographs of empty interiors.
- First photographed furniture as a stand-in for the human figure.
- Started to go into institutional spaces: town halls, schools, churches.
- Instead of constructing images was noticing things and then photographing them.
- Noticed potential photographs from familiar surroundings.
- She's not just photographing the room but the atmosphere.
- Compares sense of atmosphere to scene in The Shining.
- Once photographed these spaces exist in a parallel universe.