ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Belfast
Date: February 2014
(Chapter 3 of 19, Running Time: 00:11:27)
Chapter 3 Synopsis:
- Parents relaxed about education but supportive.
- Was always drawing as a child.
- School acknowledges she was good at art and encouraged it.
- Didn't know what she wanted to do so did foundation course.
- Had good art history at school but bored by it, found it depressing.
- Only positive response to art was to a Victor Pasmore painting.
- Gauguin, Van Gogh, Goya, Rembrandt all felt oppressive.
- Found landscape paintings twee.
- Was very into music but not mainstream pop.
- Liked Joy Division, The Fall, The Smiths, Kraftwerk more than art.
- Read plays and novels: Brecht, Kafka, Waugh.
- Didn't feel cut off in Coleraine.