ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Belfast
Date: February 2014
(Chapter 8 of 19, Running Time: 00:09:03)
Chapter 8 Synopsis:
- When finished MA was exhibiting photographic prints.
- MA work was gender based and figurative.
- Work was theatrically lit like Caravaggio, cinematic in style.
- Clothing was signifier of female stereotyping and appearance.
- Work was surreal and influenced by Magritte.
- On trip to Jerusalem during MA had seen posters prohibiting women.
- Also interested in photo-illustrations in manuals.
- Became interested in Jeff Wall, Man Ray and Muybridge.
- Wanted to show observance and deviation from rules.
- Didn't think of herself as a Feminist.
- Took figure out of work because she want not to be viewed as a woman artist.
- Didn't want to be part of exhibitions of women artists.
- Then wanted to make art that could have been by a man or woman.