ORAL HISTORY ARCHIVE:
Interviewed by Richard West
Location: Artist's home, Belfast
Date: February 2014
(Chapter 4 of 19, Running Time: 00:13:31)
Chapter 4 Synopsis:
- Went to Foundation course in Belfast in 1985.
- Did Foundation because couldn't decide what else to do.
- Initially did a lot of drawing.
- Influenced by cinema including Peter Greenaway.
- Also did a lot of collage.
- Belfast was lively in the late 1980s.
- Came to photography by recording installations.
- Installations involved lighting and were challenging to photograph.
- Uncle Seamus was a photographer and talked her through process.
- There were no photography students or lecturers in the college.
- The photographs were more interesting than the installations.
- Uncle Seamus adopted new photographic equipment.
- Uncle Seamus was kind and large character.
- Was amused by Mary's photographs.